Sunday, February 23, 2014

A YUMMY LAYOUT AND SOME CARDS.....

Hi! Back again.... This time to share with you a layout I created for case-file 110 over at CSI this week. My creativity has gone into overdrive this past week or so..... So much so that I have found it difficult to stop and blog instead!! But I knew that I only had a day or so left to put this layout up, and that I had to get it done. I really enjoyed this color combo. You might think it's very different for me, and in a way your right, because, I use lots of color on my pages now, but once upon a time, before we lost our house, everything I made was brown, brown, and more brown. I never used color at all back then. It was only when I began scrapbooking again early last year that I started using color. That's why I enjoyed this so much. It was a nice trip back to what my pages used to be like! I almost forgot how much I loved these colors, as it has been a while since i used them in any great quantity. CSI also had a sketch for this case-file, designed by the fab Em Stafrace. Don't forget to pop over to the CSI website for more great inspiration, challenges, and more!!


Case-file 110:

 

For the evidence I have used:
Jewels: The Kaisercraft gems, the little gold lock and a the center of one of my flowers. There is also a black flower which is made of crystal like beads
Ribbon/Bow: I have used ribbon to create a little white bow.
Lace: The white flower at the bottom of the page is lace.
Pearls: The center of the small dark brown flower at the top left of the photo has a pearl in the center.
Fabric: I have added calico behind my photo for added texture, and quite a few of the flowers are also fabric.
Flowers: I have lots of yummy flowers on my layout!

 For my testimony, which is tucked in behind the photo, I have used the inspiration word 'hope'. My journaling says:
'I love this photo of you taken on the swing at our local park in Spring. That smile on your face.... You are such a loving boy, yet wild and carefree at the same time. Your smart, polite, and funny. I love the little person you are. You are only 2 years old, yet some days you seem older than me. It is my greatest hope that as you grow you will continue to keep the same qualities you have now. They will set you on the right track in life and take you to places far and wide. Already I couldn't be more proud of the little person you have become and I look forward to watching you grow and develop your personality and your mind even more. I love you so very much.'

'With Wild Abandon'


As you can see, I have added quite a bit of chocolate brown to this color combo. This was actually inspired by some of the shades in the dogs fur, and as we can add neutrals (yes... I know the color scheme is already mainly neutral), I figured why not. I have also turned the sketch once in a clockwise direction, then eliminated all the photo's but one. In the sketch this photo is the circle one. I have used a rectangle and added the circular twine frame wrapped in cotton. I'm actually really happy with the way this layout turned out. before I had finished embellishing and stuff I thought it looked a little weird, mainly because of how I positioned my paper layers..... but now that it is finished, I couldn't be happier!!

Some detailed shots:


Some yummy Prima flowers.... I know it looks a little purple in this photo, but in real life it is actually much creamier, very similar in color to the background in the inspiration image. The chipboard is from Dusty Attic, which I decided to leave raw. It has been forever since I used raw chipboard on a layout, I normally always paint it, though I made the right choice here. 


Here you can see how I have wrapped, twisted and folded some white cotton around the natural twine to create a frame for my photo. It is such a cool, distressed effect that it gives, I just love it!! The title was cut from a Collections Elements words sheet, then inked around the edges with some brown stazon. You could use any ink, however I chose this one because some other types of inks will rub off, even when dry, and stain your photo.


More Yummy Prima flowers and wood icons, Dusty Attic Chipboard, Kaisercraft Gems, ect.... The majority of the papers used were also by Kaisercraft, thought here were some other brands in there too. I have also added a few different sized wooden beads randomly over the layout. The one behind the Prima wood veneer rose is the biggest, with the rest being much smaller. I have really enjoyed finding different things to use on my layout recently. Even if it is just one very small thing, it adds something new and different to every page I create.


As you can see I have once again created lots of layers and quite a bit of dimension on this page. My Mom was having a laugh at me the other day because I was actually pulling things off my page because it didn't have enough dimension, and then starting again!!


Here, not only can you see some more of those layers and the dimension, but also some of the texture in the background. I just used my normal process for creating this background, and I'm really happy with the final result.
I know I haven't used much of the yellow in this layout, but it seemed to fit better as an accent color, so I just added a little in my paper layers, and i added this MME brad, which not only had the yellow, but fit perfectly with the sketch!!




I would also like to quickly share with you today a couple of cards I made. Remember I mentioned in my last post that Prima's February BAP really inspired me and I created quite a few different items based on the sketch? Well these 2 cards are among those. The first card I made for my Mom's Birthday a few days past, I have used some prima flowers and wood icons, along with products from Studio Calico, Papers from Basic Grey, Kaisercraft, and MME, and some Dusty Attic chipboard.


'Happy Birthday'


 Purple is not really a color I use very often, but I had these gorgeous flowers sitting about, and Ii couldn't really think of a better use for them at the time. When the card was finished, I was like.... 'Why did I do that, the purple looks so good I should have done a layout instead', thankfully this also meant I had made a perfect card for my Mom.

'New beginnings'


While this card is doesn't actually say 'New beginnings', that is what it is meant to convey. The clock is meant to represent the passing of time, while the flowers are representation of Spring and growth. I used quite a few different mixed-media techniques on this card, almost as much work went into it as a layout... LOL! I have added some calico, thread, twine rope, and ribbon for added texture, along with a paper straw for contrast. All the flowers and papers used here are by Prima.

That's it from me today.... I still have to get my layout uploaded to the CSI gallery, bath Jet and lots, lots more before dinner. Thankyou all for stopping by and for taking the time to leave your comments, or become a member! It really makes my day!! Hope you all had a fantastic weekend, and have a wonderful creative week ahead!!

1 comment:

  1. As always, I LOOOVE seeing how you create your LOs....& even without ur usual pops of colour this is delicious ....LOOOVE those layers & the title works so nicely tucked in beside the photo. Your mums card is beautiful & I LOOOVE the time one...I have so many stick pins, & keep forgetting to use them...thanks for the reminder!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanx for stopping by and for taking the time to leave your lovely comments.... xoxox!!!